I have done some work with embedding YouTube videos in the past so I figured I could make a slick jQuery plugin to insert code into a div on a page and provide the controls to switch between the videos. My goal was to make it so that all I would need to supply to file was the video ID list, video height, and video width. I combined what I created with jCarousel – Riding carousels with jQuery to form the plugin. This plugin is developed under the dual open source licenses from MIT and GPL.
View live example
Download the file for your own use
*Update: this project can now be found on my GitHub project page.
Let me know of any problems or suggestions in the comments.
Today, I happen to run into, what I thought, was a really strange bug in Internet Explorer 7 and below. Since, it took me awhile to find an answer to this problem I thought I could shed some further light on it. The problem I ran into was Internet Explorer was not counting the items in an ordered list correctly. Instead of 1,2,3,4,5,6 IE was outputting 1,1,1,1,1,1. Further, the problem also made the numbered bullet appear towards the bottom of the list item when they contain multiple lines. I found the answer to my problem at kirupa.com.
The first problem of the miscounting can be solved by doing the following:
.container ol li
Then for the second problem where the numbers line up to the bottom of the list elements just add the code in red:
.container ol li
That should take care of that problem. I hope this helps you out and keeps some headaches away.
Older versions of Internet Explorer present a problem to many web developers. These older versions don’t support much of the modern languages and especially most of CSS3. One of the most frustrating things I have faced is making list element align horizontally next to each other. This technique is relatively commonly seen in many modern websites. Unfortunately early version s of IE do not support the easy way to do this, display: inline or display: inline-block. Using this without any other code will result in something like this:
Now there are many options to fix this including adding libraries to make IE think it is a more modern browser. However, if you are like me you are probably including several libraries to make your site function just the way you like it. So adding another library is just going to slow down the site more. I found a simple solution just zoom: 1; and *display: inline; to your CSS code. This will be added along with your normal display: inline or display: inline-block. This result in it looking something like this:
There you go problem solved! Hope this helped someone.
Currently, I am in the process of adding functionalities, provided by these languages, to the wine map. I hope to have all functions and features of the page self contained along with an auto updating map. Users will be able to go to this application and be able to see information change based on the active of other users without ever having to push refresh. As I develop the map further I keep thinking that it should be turned into a consumer focused product. So expect these bigger changes and the release of the new consumer app this summer.